[Crm-sig] Issue: questionable Sunrise

Øyvind Eide oyvind.eide at iln.uio.no
Thu Dec 10 15:57:00 EET 2009

Den 10. des.. 2009 kl. 14.38 skrev martin:

> Dear All,
>
> "“Impression Sunrise” by Monet (E84) depicts sun rising over Le
> Havre (E5) mode of depiction Impressionistic (E55)" :
>
> One may argue, that "Sunrise over Le Havre" depicts a place and a
> certain timespan, but the sunrise itself might
> not be seen as a process in the sense of the CRM, since it is just a
> question of a view on a constellation of deeply
> independent things (rather a "situation"). May be, we should avoid
> the example, until we better know what a sunrise is?

Dear Martin, and all,

If we do not know now what a sunrise is, will we know better in the
future?

I think the problem is not the word "sunrise". It is a normal word
with several related meanings: e.g. " a time of day", or "any (major)
awakening", as a dictionary will tell us.

The problem is rather than when such a word is used in the title of a
painting, the meaning is not fixed, so that it can mean the time of
day, or it can mean the start of a new, totally different part of
person's life, just to take two examples. In order to model such a
text in a formalism such as CRM, one of the meaning must be chosen (or
maybe several, but always fewer than the potential total number of
possible meaning).

In short, is this not a case similar to underspecification?

Kind regards,

Øyvind Eide
Unit for Digital Documentation, University of Oslo