[Crm-sig] Licensing

Leif Isaksen leifuss at googlemail.com
Sat Oct 25 16:12:07 EEST 2008

Maybe I'm missing something but this doesn't entirely make sense to me.

In order to link data in the Semantic Web sense the encoded versions
(or at least the OWL and RDFS versions) should be available at a fixed
domain and the URIs of which they are composed must also be fixed.
That way every CRM concept has one unique location on the internet and
all references should refer to it. For that reason, I don't see how
(or why) anyone would infringe copyright on it. Triples either refer
to the canonical URI for, e.g. E55 or they don't. If they don't then
they are not referencing the CIDOC CRM anymore. By the same token,
extensions can create new concepts (perhaps using their own domain
space) but they still have to refer back to the original URIs if they
are to extend the CIDOC CRM.

There seem to be some grey areas around taxonomies like the Getty
Thesauri (which are licensed). I know a SKOS (i.e. RDF-based) version
has been created, but it's toxic for externals because no-one is sure
whether they could link to the URIs or not without infringing
copyright. That seems unlikely to me, but it would possibly violate
the contractual agreement of the (third-party) organisation that did
it which wouldn't help matters.

In any case, Getty might meaningfully be called data, whereas the
CIDOC CRM is a conceptual structure: it is really only useful if I
make it clear that I'm using the CIDOC CRM in the first place (E55
doesn't mean anything at all otherwise). Attribution is therefore
ensured. Likewise, the encoded version is simply an address on on the
internet and the RDFS/OWL descriptions freely available so there's no
way for third parties to restrict use. Seeing as those are the only
two things that CC-BY guarantees it would seem to be unnecessary.

Sorry for the ramble - please do correct me if I've got the wrong end
of something here.

Best

Leif