[Crm-sig] Call for Comment - Definition of compatibility with ISO21127 (CIDOC CRM)

martin martin at ics.forth.gr
Tue Oct 7 15:39:20 EEST 2008

Dear All,

We send you as relevant stakeholders the attached draft definition of compatibility with ISO21127
and kindly ask for your feedback and comments by begin of November. This is a chance for you to
particpate actively in a standard relevant for your business.

Please inform us, if possible, by mid October 2008, if you intend to send a comment.

The CIDOC Conceptual Reference Model (http://cidoc.ics.forth.gr) or ISO 21127:2006
(http://www.iso.org/iso/en/CatalogueDetailPage.CatalogueDetail?CSNUMBER=34424&scopelist=PROGRAMME)
enjoys rapidly increasing take-up and use in the cultural heritage sector and beyond.
The actual contents of ISO21127:2006 are based on the community draft "CIDOC CRM version 3.4.9"
(http://cidoc.ics.forth.gr/docs/cidoc_crm_version_3.4.9.pdf)from the year 2003.

In the meanwhile, the CIDOC CRM Special Interest has been intensively working integrating feed-back from
the community, and improving and extending text and concept definitions of the CIDOC CRM
accordingly, creating a basically backwards-compatible new version with ISO21127.

This version(CIDOC CRM version 4.2.6), differing minimally from version 4.2.5 published under
http://cidoc.ics.forth.gr/docs/cidoc_crm_version_4.2.5.pdf, will be published shortly, and be
proposed to ISO as an amendment to ISO21127.

The major change is the attached more elaborate definition of compatibility with ISO21127, which
is intended to replace the current section "Compatibility with the CRM" on page (ii). This definition should
become an effective tool to create objective validation procedures of compatibility. The compatibility
should be easy enough to be achieved, to make the standard attractive to many system and data structure
providers, and objective enough, to guarantee the intended interoperability and to protect those having
seriously invested in the compatibility from flase claims. It is not intended to give a complete logical
definition in the standard, but rather to describe high-level objectives, function and criteria, such that
the remaining inevitable ambiguities wrt the explicit procedures and algorithms will not endanger the
intended resulting interoperability.

Also attached a minimal “reduced CRM-compatible form” in OWL, for those interested in a more formal definition.

Please comment on
  * the comprehensibility of the text,
  * if the definitions fits your business interests
  * if you feel there are logical gaps that may endanger
     the intended interoperability of systems compatible with the definition.
  * Any improvements and additional regulations you may think of.

Your comments will be discussed in the CIDOC CRM Special Interest Group (6-7 of November in London)
and be submitted to the ISO Working Group responsible for the CIDOC CRM.

Best,

Martin Doerr

chair,
CIDOC CRM Special Interest Group