[Crm-sig] Fwd: URI policies

martin martin at ics.forth.gr
Sun Nov 30 20:49:38 EET 2008

Dear Vladimir,

The point is not if the URIs are human readable. The question is, if we have
cataloguing rules, that could allow a larger group to come up with the same URI,
without creating one identifier for two things. If I call you xxx578o900yybnn,
I have to reconcile every reference to you. We cannot avoid that in general,
but we could create some reasonable rules to reduce the number of negotiations.
AACR2 is a good example from library science.

Since a museum object is at one place at a time, its current location is unique, as is
its current inventory number. These numbers are publicly known. Why should I call the
object xjdisugfvisg, once we could find a more reasonable URI?

We could at least reduce some complexity of the co-reference problem.
The same holds for people registered in authority files, as long as we are sure
whom we talk about.