[Crm-sig] URI policies

Vladimir Ivanov nomemm at gmail.com
Fri Nov 28 13:46:59 EET 2008

Dear all,

Why do we need human-readable URIs?
Any row in a certain database table could be identified by unique
(surrogate) key.
An algorithm should only generate different URI for different resources.
So, we need to define a difference between resources (or their representations).

If identifier should not have any additional inner structure (and meaning),
then we could use GUID.

For example, "http://url.de/E19_ZZZ", where ZZZ is GUID.
Add name or content of resource into URI is not a very good idea.

Alternatively, we could use hashing and add any desirable structure into URI.
For example, "http://url.de/cityname_streetname_HASHCODE".

How to make a URI out of DNA?

Best regards,
Vladimir