[Crm-sig] CIDOC CRM License proposal

Hohmann, Georg g.hohmann at gnm.de
Tue Nov 11 11:58:49 EET 2008

Hi,

other ontology-projects had have a discussion about licencing too. For example the discussion about licencing the Atom-OWL Version is a good source for arguments:

[rdfweb-dev] licence for Ontologies
http://lists.foaf-project.org/pipermail/foaf-dev/2004-October/007932.html

I took at look at some common RDF/OWL-ontologies and their attributed licences:

DOLCE
http://www.loa-cnr.it/DOLCE.html
Specification: none
RDF/OWL: GNU LGPL

FOAF
http://xmlns.com/foaf/spec/
Specification: CC-BY
RDF/OWL: CC-BY

DUBLIN CORE
http://dublincore.org/about/copyright/
Specification: Dublin Core Licence
RDF/OWL: CC-BY

WORDNET
http://wordnet.princeton.edu/license
Everything: WordNet 3.0 License

SKOS
http://www.w3.org/TR/skos-reference
Specification: W3C Document Licence
RDF/OWL: none(?)

ATOM-OWL
http://bblfish.net/work/atom-owl/2006-06-06/AtomOwl.html
Specification: CC-BY
RDF/OWL: BSD

Their is often a licence for both: the RDF/OWL-implementation and the specification-text.

My proposal is to add an explicit licence statement to crm-definition-text too to clarify the use for adopters. The CC-BY-SA 3.0 is a good choice for a rdf/owl-implementation and the text.

Best,
Georg