[Crm-sig] about types draft

martin martin at ics.forth.gr
Thu Nov 6 23:49:43 EET 2008

Dear Guenther,

Since our Group has a background in thesaurus management systems, I can only report
that thesauri using broader-narrower terms without an explicit associated notion of concept
come up with strange work-arounds, for instance, "orange" appearing in two hierarchies,
color and fruits, without being identical (example from a real system), whatever that means.

In the end, there seems to be an implicit notion of concept, be it by restricting
ambiguities by the implicit context.

We do not aim with the CRM property P127 has broader term (has narrower term) at other
semantics than BTG, such as parthood, geographical inclusion, contextual association etc.

We do not aim at describing "orange" as narrower term of fruit and color simultaneously, because it
makes no sense. There is no real sense of compatibility to achieve with such systems.

Any good dictionary deals with sense disambiguation. So, I do not see a point to make
an ontological model, i.e. a part of the CRM, of an unreflected practice to deal with terms.
So, I prefer not to regard instances of E55 Type as terms in the lectical sense, but rather
to regard terms as Appellations.

cordially,

Martin