[Crm-sig] [Fwd: Re: How to certify CRM compatibility, URGENT PLEASE VOTE]

Bernhard Schiemann Bernhard.Schiemann at informatik.uni-erlangen.de
Thu Nov 6 11:09:20 EET 2008

Dear Martin,
> Here is probably the misunderstanding. The text does not talk about
> checking if a schema is compatible, nor how the system exports data. It
> is only
> the effect on the data we look at. No need for a vendor to disclose his
> schema. Semantics can be anywere hidden in code.
> Print outs of filled-in screen forms are enough to represent data in
> a collection management system. These should be compared against CRM
> instances
> the system can produce, for instance in OWL or RDF as export.
> The compatibility text does not mention texts or schema, nor does it
> intend to.
>
> Is any phrase ambiguous in this sense?
For my personal understanding: yes. Because it is nothing said about
"data" (could be data records of a DB, Triples, Text, ...). But if
anyone else is ok with these definitions, please proceed.

Best
Bernhard

> Bernhard Schiemann wrote:
>> Dear Martin, Dear all,
>>> I rather meant with "test data" the real data records, instances of the
>>> schema of a local system, rich enough to cover the relevant cases,
>>> to demonstrate how their export results in CRM instances,
>>> and/or CRM instances provided as test vectors, to demonstrate how their
>>> input results in reasonable local data.
>> If so, the real data records have a structure (schema of the local
>> system). If one would provide or wants to provide correct export CRM
>> instances a formal language is needed (for RDBMS, it could be SQL, ...).
>> Or other formal languages based on logics.
>>
>> If one wants to proof compatibility of his/her text with the CRM ISO
>> text, it might be a viable way to formulate this text in the controlled
>> vocabulary of the CRM.
>>> What did you have in mind? How would you show, that an RDBMS exports
>>> correctly its data into CRM instances?
>> I would transform the CRM into a formal language (e.g. OWL-DL) and then
>> export the instances of the RDBMS in terms of the CRM model. Then it is
>> possible to test compatibility of the RDBMS instances against the CRM
>> OWL-DL "schema".
>>
>> If something is unclear, please ask!
>>
>> Best,
>> Bernhard
>>

>>> Best,
>>>
>>> Martin

Bernhard Schiemann, Dipl. Ing.
Artificial Intelligence Division
Department of Computer Science
University of Erlangen-Nuremberg
Haberstr. 2, D-91058 Erlangen, Germany

Tel.:  +49-9131-85-28984
Fax :  +49-9131-85-28986
Email: schiemann at informatik.uni-erlangen.de
http://www8.informatik.uni-erlangen.de/inf8/en/schiemann.html
To verify my keys, please use gpg keyserver:
pgp.mit.edu