[Crm-sig] Issue: E89 Propositional Object and Symbolic Object, CRM compliant and museum doc.

Guenther Goerz guenther.goerz at gmail.com
Fri May 9 17:18:50 EEST 2008

Dear Martin and colleagues,

On 5/9/08, martin <martin at ics.forth.gr> wrote:
> Dear Guenther,
>
>  I believe that this view of how concepts can be defined is easy to
> understand but might be
>  overly optimistic and simplistic.

My idea was to give a few hints that basically matters are quite easy
to understand, and my intention was to keep it as simple as possible
and avoid unnecessary complications (vide Ockham).

>  Numbers may not be the best examples for everyday concepts. We can ask our
> biologists,

You are right, but I took it as a simple example where everybody
educated in simple math can see what the issue is and that we can deal
with the matter satisfactorily just on the logico-linguistic level.

>  who has so far been able to define the objective property set of at least a
> sparrow.
>  What worries me even more is, that the problem is pushed to the properties,
> as if they were
>  all obvious, objective and known. So, the approach does neither tell us how

No need to worry. I don't want to push the problem to the properties
(I didn't have a problem shift in mind), but I took it for granted and
self-evident, that first of all there is an agreement in a given
community about what properties are to be taken into account, how they
are defined and determined, including criteria for validity and
procedures for checking/determination/measurement, whatsoever.  Sorry,
but again numbers: The concept of prime number can be defined if there
is a consensus about the property of divisibility in advance. Somebody
else might find a likewise simple example in the physical world, e.g.
the property of shape...

> we get to properties,
>  nor how we can agree ("without secrets") on concepts once they are based on
> intuitive properties. Even the
>  concept of counting seems to me beyond true logical definition. See also

Well, I don't know what a "true logical definition" might be, but
counting can be introduced as we do with little children by using
fingers and counting signs.  Even without counting we can say what we
mean by "as many as", i.e. numeric equality: Take two collections and
then take out one individual from each at a time.  When you are done
there is nothing left in either heap, we say that they contained an
equal number of individuals.  So, first of all: pragmatics,
pragmatics, and pragmatics.

> David Wiggins, who claims
>  that some fundamental concepts exhibit cyclic dependencies in the
> discussion of identity, which is
>  a prerequisite of counting.

Identity is a different issue, equality can be done without, as outlined above.

>  I don't think that we can keep out cognitive psychology if we want to
> describe a reasonable set of
>  concepts (and properties) for cultural documentation. I prefer to regard

Yes, you are right, but we should distinguish two levels.  The first
one is documentation practice where we have a set of properties and
concepts on which a community has agreed and we have rules/procedures
how determine the values of these properties.  At this point, we need
not to reason about psychological issues; the agreement has to be
dicussed (and taught) as long as everybody understands it in terms of
doing the same thing --- take for example the bibliographic
description of books in a given library system.  This does not exclude
that some day somebody may come up with a problem due to
underspecification or ambiguity in common understanding --- in this
case the definitions have to be updated, and this is the way of normal
science.  If some disagreement exists, in a democratic setting we have
to discuss as long as we come up with an agreement --- or we document
the disagreement explicitly.  (Under authoritarian circumstances, we
might ask the pope instead...)

> concepts as an empirical fact,
>  in the sense that humans are capable to agree with a certain precision on
> concepts, however we come

Research in cognitive psychology or psycholinguistics may become
important on the second level, if we deal with the history of
epistemology (or historical epistemology) by, e.g. investigating
concept change, etc.  This would be an endeavor in history of science,
but only of indirect relevance for actual documentation practice
(eventually in cases where we take historical documentation into
account as biological classifications from the 17th century).

>  to their formation. As a practictioner, I do not need more than this
> ontological commitment.

Even simpler: I think the only commitment we need is what I said about
agreement above.

Best,

see you on Monday,
-- Guenther