[Crm-sig] Issue: E89 Propositional Object and Symbolic Object, CRM compliant and museum doc.

martin martin at ics.forth.gr
Fri May 9 11:15:31 EEST 2008

Dear Guenther,

I believe that this view of how concepts can be defined is easy to understand but might be
overly optimistic and simplistic.

Numbers may not be the best examples for everyday concepts. We can ask our biologists,
who has so far been able to define the objective property set of at least a sparrow.
What worries me even more is, that the problem is pushed to the properties, as if they were
all obvious, objective and known. So, the approach does neither tell us how we get to properties,
nor how we can agree ("without secrets") on concepts once they are based on intuitive properties. Even the
concept of counting seems to me beyond true logical definition. See also David Wiggins, who claims
that some fundamental concepts exhibit cyclic dependencies in the discussion of identity, which is
a prerequisite of counting.

I don't think that we can keep out cognitive psychology if we want to describe a reasonable set of
concepts (and properties) for cultural documentation. I prefer to regard concepts as an empirical fact,
in the sense that humans are capable to agree with a certain precision on concepts, however we come
to their formation. As a practictioner, I do not need more than this ontological commitment.