[Crm-sig] dissemination of CRM

Christian-Emil Ore c.e.s.ore at edd.uio.no
Mon May 5 13:28:23 EEST 2008

Dear Nick and all other on the list,

I think this discussion is important.

The CRM is a excellent model and is extremely useful as a modelling
tool. We (in my unit) have used it to model databases for archaeology,
mediaeval ballads, a database for  design and architecture 1950-1970,
etc. It is not hard to explain the CRM if one keep out of the details.
However, when one's "students" are left alone with the model definition,
they often feel that it is impenetrable and give up.

Why is this so?
1) It is always a painful and tiring process to learn new stuff
2) The CRM is too complex and too theoretically formulated
3) Museum people are not interested in formal stuff and in computers
4) People tend to select paths that looks easy in the beginning

1, 3 and 4 are constant.  As I wrote in  my first email, I think we
should follow two tracks:

1) a research track including Wittgenstein's language philosophy if one
find this relevant and interesting

2) a practical track with to make the basic principles of the CRM
understandable for museum/ cultural heritage persons.

The two tracks should not be disconnected. The more popularised version
of the CRM, if I may use such an expression, should compatible with the
more theoretically formulated one.

Personally, I find the theoretical approach interesting and mind
stimulating. Professionally, as the chair of CIDOC I observe that we
need good modelling tool for museum documentation. I believe a
simplified version of the CRM with at least the three basic features:
events, abstract content, and identifier-object distinction will enrich
the museum documentation,  and if done in coherent manner, will enable
us to interconnect the information hidden in the museums and the museum
systems. There is also a not small task to teach curators that a
computer system can be used to store contextual information and not only
basic information about the artefact.

The main question is where to find resources. The development of CRM and
FRBRoo has been funded by research money. It may be harder to get
research funding for the development of tutorial material etc.

Any ideas?

Regards,
Christian-Emil