[Crm-sig] Issue: E89 Propositional Object and Symbolic Object, CRM compliant and museum doc.

Guenther Goerz guenther.goerz at gmail.com
Sat May 3 19:14:00 EEST 2008

Dear Christian-Emil,
I completely agree with you. The original idea should be kept: The CRM claim
to be a tool for documentation in the first place. The idea behind my
remarks was to indicate that I think the basic matters are quite simple and
that we do not have to conduct a big philosophical debate.  We might do so
on some issues where the CRM document is still to imprecise --- internally,
but not in front of practitioners.  They should get something which is
terminologically clear and distinct (to use Descartes' terms).  But, of
course, we are in formal ontologies (and if we were in ER-diagram design,
matters wouldn't be simpler). What they need are many good examples, perhaps
starting with CRM Core.  And we should not be dogmatic about events --- some
remarks in the recent discussion about "CRM compatibility" seemed as
if... Unfortunately, some of the available teaching material is in fact too
complicated for documentation people to begin with, e.g. the diagrams in the
most recent ER conference tutorial. Well, if Steve has a transcript at hand
it would be fine (I've never seen it).  Patrick too started a while ago with
an introductory text but he wrote me that he gave up.  So, I think, we don't
have any disagreement.

Best,
see you soon,
-- Günther