[Crm-sig] Relations between information objects

Dieter Köhler d.k at philo.de
Mon Jan 14 20:03:10 EET 2008

Dear all,

Firstly, thanks to João Alberto de Oliveira Lima
and Martin Doerr for pointing me to the FRBRoo ontology!

"R58 is derivative of (has derivative)" is
perhaps a good candidate for what I am looking
for.  However, I am not sure whether the
intention of this predicate really applies to
transcriptions.  The definition of the predicate
states that it applies where one work "modifies
the content of another" work.  The examples
suggest that this involves quite some substantial
modifications.  But a transcription aims to
preserve the essentials of its source in respect
to its 'content'.  So it seems to me that "R65 is
realised in (realises)" might be a better choice.

That leaves me with two subsequent problems:

a) I do not only want to make statements about
complete works, but about parts of works
(individual pages or paragraphs that re-appear in
the text of other manuscripts).  However, the
domains and ranges of most of the FRBRoo
ontology's predicates are whole "F1 works", "F20
Self-Contained Expressions", etc.  Would it not
make more sense to broaden the scope of these
predicates so that they are applicable to all "E28 Conceptual Objects"?

b) Often editions do not represent a
transcription of a single manuscript but a
standardized text according to some editorial
principles based on multiple somewhat divergent
sources.  In this case, "R65 is realised in
(realises)" would be not accurate enough to
describe the relation between the standardized
text and its multiple sources, because the range
must be broader than a single "F20 Self-contained Expression".

Regards,

Dieter Köhler