[Crm-sig] Relations between information objects

martin martin at ics.forth.gr
Mon Jan 14 14:59:00 EET 2008

Dear Christian-Emil,

Yes, the problem reminds me the discussion we had in Nuremberg, which we will
continue in Heraklion:

If the Information Object is simultaneously a set of propositions and a set
of symbols in one, then a change of symbolic representation would change only
parts of its features, the symbols but not the propositions. This is what I would
currently favour for practical reasons.

If we regard Information Object to be only symbols, it would have no meaning
as such, but should be related to ONE (?) meaning or MULTIPLE (?) interpretations-
readings. This meaning or reading could be regarded as propositions, which in turn would refer
to things, "Situations" as Aldo Gangemi et al.

This makes 3 levels:
A) The characters of "The rabbit is ready for lunch"
B) The proposition of "The rabbit is ready for lunch" ("Das Kaninchen ist fertig zum essen").
C) A situation that fits with the proposition "The rabbit is ready for lunch": It may be cooked,
     or may be seaten at the table, still alive and hungry....

If we could identify clearly a representation-independent propositional level
underneath the symbolic representation, one could describe the transscript as
a symbolic object preserving the "reading". I fear, for practical reasons,
the sophistication of such a model may be overly difficult to handle in practice.
Of course, there may be situations were such a model may be appropriate, e.g.,
if we deal with multiple transscripts, or even "audio books".