[Crm-sig] Relations between information objects

Dieter Köhler d.k at philo.de
Fri Jan 11 19:15:40 EET 2008

Trying to record the structure of a manuscript
and its digital reproductions with CIDOC CRM
4.2.2 I come across the following problem.  I
have a digital facsimile and a normalized
transcription of a manuscript.  The facsimile
consists of scans of the individual pages of the
manuscript; the transcription is normalized by
correcting misspellings, skipping deleted
passages and rearranging some others (according
to insertion marks in the manuscript).

I understand that
(A) the physical manuscript is an E84 Information Carrier
(B) a digital scan is an E73 Information Object
(more precisely an E36 Visual Item)
(C) a transcription is an E73 Information Object
(I am not sure whether I can use E33 Linguistic
Object here, because some paragraphs contain tiny
non-linguistic illustrations within the textual sequence)
(D) a particular file on the hard disk containing
a scan is an E84 Information Carrier
(E) a particular file on the hard disk containing
a transcription is an E84 Information Carrier

The following relations apply:
(A) P128 carries (B)
(A) P128 carries (C)
(D) P128 carries (B)
(E) P128 carries (C)

(B) and (C) are distinct E73 Information Objects,
but nevertheless the transcription (C) is an
interpretation of the visual clues of (B),
expressed for example in: "The vertical stroke in
the first line is the word 'I'."

I think it would be useful to have a predicate in
CIDOC-CRM to indicate that one Information Object
is not identical with but derived from
another.  The closest predicates in meaning are
'P67 refers to' and 'P138 represents'.  However,
it seems that neither is really accurate here.  Any ideas?

Dieter Köhler

Dr. Dieter Köhler, M.A.
Wissenschaftlicher Assistent
Institut für Philosophie und