[Crm-sig] FRBRoo R10's superproperty, ISSUE

c.e.s.ore at edd.uio.no c.e.s.ore at edd.uio.no
Fri Feb 1 08:01:26 EET 2008

P137 was introduced to deal with type specimens in natural history.  Such
a specimen is selected for exampel among one of 10 flies used to describe
a species. A species can be considered to be a hypothetical set comprising
all specimens of the species. A more simplistic and old fashioned view is
to see the type-specimen as a prototype like the meter stick in Paris. In
both cases the species is a set and can be expressed by a logical
proposition. A type in the CRM may well be considered to be a set although
it also could be a set theoretical class. This discussion is however
outside the cultural heritage scope of CRM, but is of cause interesting.

Chr-Emil