[Crm-sig] Issue: CRM compatibility

Synapse Computing Oy info at synapse-computing.com
Mon Apr 28 12:06:56 EEST 2008

Dear All

In Finland there are investigations underway within the Museums-Archives-Libraries community with regard to co-operation in the area of long term storage. A part of this issue is the question of content standards. PREMIS and METS have received special attention at this point. To highlight the importance of CIDOC-CRM in this context an argumentation is needed clarifying the position of the CIDOC-CRM with regard to PREMIS and related standards and models.

Some links for relevant background information are:

PREMIS Data Dictionary for Preservation Metadata:
http://www.oclc.org/research/projects/pmwg/

METS Metadata Encoding & Transmission Standard:
http://www.loc.gov/standards/mets/

OAIS Reference Model:
http://public.ccsds.org/publications/archive/650x0b1.pdf

Another matter:

There is a Nordic project underway with many of the goals stated by Nick, e.g.
- Developing a service-oriented, integrated technical infrastructure to aggregate and serve up structured cultural content
- Providing an SKOS/web-services based Cultural Terminology Server for museums, archives and libraries·
- Liaison with Europeana

A prototype of this system will be presented in the CIDOC conference in Athens.

Best regards,
Mika

Synapse Computing Oy, Arabiankatu 2, 00560 Helsinki
info at synapse-computing.com
+358-9-8569 9696 puh/tel
+358-9-8569 9595 fax