[Crm-sig] Issue: CRM compatibility

LEE, Edmund Edmund.Lee at english-heritage.org.uk
Fri Apr 25 12:35:44 EEST 2008

Nick makes some very useful points which I agree with entirely.

Another aspect of this might be to identify relevant *data standards* as
being CRM compliant, rather than information systems. This might then
support the development of a network of standards developed for specific
national circumstances and/or user communities at national level, which
can be used in specifying systems development, with the CRM as the
international glue which keeps systems developed under different
national standards sufficiently interoperable to promote cultural
information exchange and mash-ups.

As a parallel I would suggest that the CRM is currently equivalent to
the inscription of World Heritage Sites in the context of monument
protection: it is highly visible, widely supported and influential, but
actual protection and management of sites inscribed is undertaken in the
context of national law and policy.

Best wishes

Ed

Standards and Guidelines Manager

English Heritage

Phone: +44(0)1793 414719

Email: edmund.lee at english-heritage.org.uk

This e-mail (and any attachments) is confidential and may contain personal views which are not the
views of English Heritage unless specifically stated. If you have received it in error, please delete it
from your system and notify the sender immediately. Do not use, copy or disclose the information in
any way nor act in reliance on it. Any information sent to English Heritage may become publicly available.