[Crm-sig] Questions from Europeana (and its CIDOC-CRM implementation practice)

João Oliveira joaoli13 at gmail.com
Fri Apr 4 22:28:24 EEST 2008

Dear Go Sugimoto,

    I will attempt to answer Q1 and Q2 questions:

Q1) IMHO, the best choice is "P138 represents (has representation) "
property as the answer for the task of "link E84 Information Carrier ... and
E38 Image Object"

    The "A)" and "C)" options has "E24 Physical Man-Made Thing" as domain in
all properties (P128, P65, P62), and your "particular" question is about
"E84 Information Carrier".

    In the "B)" option, the P67 is a superproperty of P129 and
P138. Considering the Genus Differentia Principle, we should use the most
specific property appropriate to the task. So, the P138 is the best choice
to represent the relationship between "JPEG file and Museum object" because
P67 is too generic and P129 should be used only "in the sense of "aboutness"
used in library science" (it's not your case).

    If you consider the "E24 Physical Man-Made Thing" class in your
question, I think the best option should be "P65" due the same reasoning.

    It's possible to consider also the class "F4 Manifestation Singleton"
(from FRBRoo, a CIDOC CRM extension with FRBR concepts) to represent the
"painting of Gogh object". [ See the F4 Scope Note:   This class comprises
physical objects that each carry an instance of F2 Expression, and that were
produced as unique objects, with no siblings intended in the course of their
production. ]
http://cidoc.ics.forth.gr/docs/frbr_oo/frbr_docs/FRBR_oo_V0.9.pdf

Q2) The "P3 has note" Scope Note (CIDOC CRM, v.4.2.) has the following
information:
"Good practice requires use of distinct note fields for different aspects of
characterisation. The P2 has type (is type of) property of P3 has note
allows differentiation of
specific notes, e.g. "construction", "decoration" etc."

      So, as "E56 Language" isA "E55 Type", you could register the note's
language with the "P2 has type" property of "P3 has note".

Regards,

João Alberto de Oliveira Lima