[crm-sig] NEW ISSUE: E28

Stephen Stead steads at paveprime.org
Wed Oct 18 16:23:38 EEST 2006

Revision of New Scope Note
This class comprises non-material products of our minds and other human
produced data that have become objects of a discourse about their identity,
circumstances of creation or historical implication. The production of such
information may have been supported by the use of technical devices such as
cameras or computers.

Characteristically, instances of this class are created, invented or thought
by someone, and then may be documented or communicated between persons.
Instances of E28 Conceptual Object have the ability to exist on more than
one particular carrier at the same time, such as paper, electronic signals,
marks, audio media, paintings, photos, human memories, etc.

They cannot be destroyed as long as they exist on at least one carrier or in
memory.
Their existence ends when the last carrier is lost. A greater distinction
can be made between products having a clear identity, such as a specific
text, or photographs, and the ideas and concepts shared and traded by groups
of people.

Stephen Stead

Tel +44 20 8668 3075

Mob +44 7802 755 013

E-mail steads at paveprime.com

The scope note of E28 seems to be inconsistent. I propose a change:

New scope note:

This class comprises non-material products of our minds and information
produced by humans with or without using technical devices that have
become objects of a discourse about their identity, circumstances of
creation and historical implications.

Characteristically, instances of this class are created, invented or thought
by someone, and then may be documented or communicated between
persons. Instances of E28 Conceptual Object have the ability to exist on
more than one particular carrier at the same time, such as papers,
electronic signals, marks, audio media, paintings, photos, human memories,
etc.

They cannot be destroyed as long as they exist on at least one carrier or in
memory.
Their existence ends when the last carrier is lost. A greater distinction
can be made between products having a clear identity, such as a
specific text, or photographs, and the ideas and concepts shared and traded
by groups of people.

Current scope note:

This class comprises non-material products of our minds, in order to allow
for reasoning about their identity, circumstances of creation and
historical implications.

Characteristically, instances of this class are created, invented or thought
by someone, and then may be documented or communicated between
persons. Instances of E28 Conceptual Object may be found on more than one
particular carrier, such as papers, electronic signals, marks,