[crm-sig] NEW ISSUE: E28

martin martin at ics.forth.gr
Tue Oct 17 22:43:39 EEST 2006

Dear All,

The scope note of E28 seems to be inconsistent. I propose a change:

New scope note:

This class comprises non-material products of our minds and information produced by humans with or without using technical devices that have
become objects of a discourse about their identity, circumstances of creation and historical implications.

Characteristically, instances of this class are created, invented or thought by someone, and then may be documented or communicated between
persons. Instances of E28 Conceptual Object have the ability to exist on more than one particular carrier at the same time, such as papers,
electronic signals, marks, audio media, paintings, photos, human memories, etc.

They cannot be destroyed as long as they exist on at least one carrier or in memory.
Their existence ends when the last carrier is lost. A greater distinction can be made between products having a clear identity, such as a
specific text, or photographs, and the ideas and concepts shared and traded by groups of people.

Current scope note:

This class comprises non-material products of our minds, in order to allow for reasoning about their identity, circumstances of creation and
historical implications.

Characteristically, instances of this class are created, invented or thought by someone, and then may be documented or communicated between
persons. Instances of E28 Conceptual Object may be found on more than one particular carrier, such as papers, electronic signals, marks,