[crm-sig] [Fwd: RE: [cidocawg] CIDOC Archaeological Working Group]

martin martin at ics.forth.gr
Tue Jul 11 13:03:00 EEST 2006

This may find your interest.

martin

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: RE: [cidocawg] CIDOC Archaeological Working Group
Date: Mon, 26 Jun 2006 18:53:08 +0100
From: "Cripps P.J." <Paul.Cripps at soton.ac.uk>
To: <cidocawg at smartgroups.com>

I look forward to the CAA 2006 notes having not been able to make it to
Dakota.
A couple of bits of information from recent events:

The CRM and ontologies in general were discussed at a recent AHDS
E-Science seminar in London and also at an AHRC Methods Network Expert
Seminar in Sheffield; seems like everyone is now at least aware of such
ontologies, if not always what they are, what they can do and how they
do it... The difference between an ontology in the computer science
sense (i.e. being a formalised description of semantic structure) and an
ontology from a philosophical viewpoint (i.e. simply some 'world-view')
is perhaps not always fully appreciated, the term ontology having become
rather fashionable again. Manfred Thaller gave an excellent paper at
Sheffield (see the abstracts online) and I mentioned the CRM from a GIS
standpoint, it being the glue that will make lots of GIS things happen
(eg advanced web-services for sourcing, delivering, validating and
enhancing spatial data). The report for the London meeting will be
online soon but again the use of such technologies as the CRM was seen
as highly important to the E-Science agenda.

AHRC Methods Network seminars:
http://www.methodsnetwork.ac.uk/activities/seminars.html
AHDS E-Science seminars: http://ahds.ac.uk/e-science/index.htm

There was also an interesting post from Ed Lee on the FISH Technical
list about how Cadcorp have written a MIDAS XML plug-in for their GIS
application, hopefully the first of many; exeGesIS are also working on
one. I would have thought the big players (Esri, AutoDesk, etc) would
have been interested as they have been getting into archaeology a lot
more in recent years (Esri have even gone so far as to publish data
models of a sort in 2002 for archaeology:
http://support.esri.com/index.cfm?fa=downloads.dataModels.filteredGatewa
y&dmid=29). After all, Esri wrote an application to handle Ordnance
Survey data (MapManager), why not NMR/SMR/HER/other data using the MIDAS
schema...? Failing that, could we as a community produce such routines
for the major applications...? Would this not be a good case for a
funded development project, given the potential impact of having such
import/export routines at our fingertips to use on any project...? I
would welcome thoughts on this.

Original post from Edmund Lee:
"Hello folks,
I'm grateful to a colleague in English Heritage for bringing the
following news item to my attention. CadCorp have developed a plug-in to
allow their software to accept MIDAS XML data into their GIS system.
http://www.directionsmag.com/press.releases/?duty=Show&id=14586&trv=1
"

All the best,
Paul.

Paul Cripps
Archaeology, School of Humanities
University of Southampton, Southampton SO17 1BF

http://www.arch.soton.ac.uk/People/default.asp?Staff=pjc196

Archaeological Computing Research Group:
http://www.arch.soton.ac.uk/acrg/

Computer Applications and Quantitative Methods in Archaeology, UK
Chapter Meeting 2006:
http://www.caauk.org/

Orange Broadband click below:
http://ads.smartgroups.com/adclick/CID=000000b7c79a99a500000000