[crm-sig] Have endurance!

martin martin at ics.forth.gr
Thu Mar 31 16:37:21 EEST 2005

Dear All,

My colleague Athina Kritsotakh has gathered the following references to endurants and perdurants.
Enjoy. If you have more, please send me.

Endurants and perdurants

Love, Shanon. 2001. The Ontology of Persistence: (a master thesis )

Abstract
In 1986, David Lewis offered what he thought would be the decisive objection against endurantism, showing it to be an implausible theory.
The problem of temporary intrinsics stated that an object cannot have two complementary intrinsic properties while maintaining identity, as
endurantists claim. Perdurantism, then, must be the more plausible theory, according to Lewis. The endurantists responded to this objection
by formulating different versions of endurantism designed to avoid the problem. Subsequently, the endurantist tried to undermine the
perdurantist position by arguing that a perduring object cannot undergo what is considered to be genuine change. As a result, endurantism is
the more plausible theory. However, the perdurantist can show that endurantism seems to fail to provide an account of change as well. In
what follows, I argue that the implicit ontological commitments of the endurantists and perdurantists have prevented the problem of
temporary intrinsics and change from resolving the endurantist/perdurantist debate. I offer examples of plausible ontologies for the
endurantist and perdurantist in order to emphasize this problem. I will argue that, in order to resolve the debate, one must ultimately
examine the ontological accounts of each theory.

Teller P.  2002. The rotating disk argument and Humean supervenience: cutting the Gordian knot. Analysis July 2002, vol. 62, no. 275,  pp.
205-210(6)
http://www.blackwell-synergy.com/links/doi/10.1111/1467-8284.00357/pdf

McKinnon N. 2002. The Endurance/Perdurance Distinction.  Australasian
Journal of Philosophy, September 01, 2002, vol. 80, no. 3, pp. 288-306(19)

http://www.geocities.com/trolleylauncher/Distinction.html