[crm-sig] ISO CRM ballot Press Release

martin martin at ics.forth.gr
Mon Mar 28 18:41:11 EEST 2005

Dear Tyler,

Let me please correct the citation of my statement:

I said:
"The CRM is an exciting and significant step towards
the vision of a global knowledge infrastructure, but also a start into
a new, more systematic understanding of the nature and complexity of
the cultural-historical discourse, to the benefit of the design of cultural
information systems."

I would not dare to praise the CRM as
"the start of a new, scientific, and
more systematic understanding of our culture and material history".

What I wanted to make clear is,

1) that the cultural-historical discourse
is by far more complex than any of the current metadata standards give
credit to. The CRM reveals on one side its complexity, on the other it
shows us one edge of its nature, the more physical one.

2) that cultural information systems should be built on an understanding of
the discourse about culture, because they are an element in the human - electronic
communication chain.

Of course we hope that it will in the sequence help "the start of new, scientific, and
more systematic research of our culture and material history",

without any claims about which kind of understanding that will bring about.

any comments?