[crm-sig] [Fwd: CFP: 4th European NKOS WORKSHOP at ECDL 2005, September 22, Vienna]

martin martin at ics.forth.gr
Tue Apr 12 14:36:59 EEST 2005

FYI.

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: CFP: 4th European NKOS WORKSHOP at ECDL 2005, September 22, Vienna
Date: Tue, 12 Apr 2005 11:28:19 +0100
From: "Tudhope D S \(Comp\)" <dstudhope at glam.ac.uk>
<ingvild.kongsbakk at bibsys.no>, <traugott.koch at lub.lu.se>,        <s.krause at gnm.de>, <edmund.lee at english-heritage.org.uk>,
<jessica.lindholm at lub.lu.se>, <b.m.matthews at rl.ac.uk>,        <keith-may at english-heritage.org.uk>, <a.j.miles at rl.ac.uk>,        "Nielsen,
Marianne Lykke" <MLN at db.dk>, <m.palmer at cabi.org>,        <pattm at email.unc.edu>, <icv at novonordisk.com>,
<schmiede at ifs.tu-darmstadt.de>, <peter.stanbridge at korora-ltd.co.uk>,        <stefka.kaloyanova at fao.org>, <repke.devries at kb.nl>,
<mweaver at cse.ogi.edu>, <mwright at ucar.edu>, <n.j.l.benn at open.ac.uk>,        <dblocks at web.de>, <j.brooks at cabi.org>, <caterina at science.uva.nl>,
        <sophy at sinica.edu.tw>, <arthur at sinica.edu.tw>,        <lars.edvardsen at idi.ntnu.no>, <Goris at ubib.eur.nl>,
<Knut.Hegna at ub.uio.no>, <hal at statsbiblioteket.dk>,        <phill.purdy at mla.gov.uk>, <nikki.rogers at bristol.ac.uk>,
<sumner at colorado.edu>, <wang at informatik.uni-augsburg.de>,        <ds52 at umail.umd.edu>, <anders at it.lth.se>,
<marion.borowski at imk.frauenhofer.de>, <brase at idi.ntnu.no>,        <kschoi at cs.kaist.ac.kr>, <paul.cripps at english-heritage.org.uk>,
<lmd at cse.ogi.edu>, <ben at unidata.ucar.edu>, <ajf15 at cornell.edu>,        <lhill at alexandria.ucsb.edu>, <ole.husby at bibsys.no>,
<khalils2 at i.p.a.edu.sa>, <koernig at ifs.tu-darmstadt.de>,        <boris.lauser at fao.org>, <jhjb.leuven at minbuza.nl>,
<mahdoui at ifs.tu-darmstadt.de>, <M.Mascord at rl.ac.uk>,        <ragnar.nordlie at jbi.hio.no>, <c.e.s.ore at muspro.uio.no>,
<y.turgeon at iaea.org>,        <rustam at unilib.neva.ru>, <Jens.Vindvad at abm-utvikling.no>,        "Vizine-Goetz,Diane" <vizine at OCLC.ORG>,
<willis at unr.edu>,        <bwilson at cnri.reston.va.us>

Call for Presentations and Participation
4th European Networked Knowledge Organization Systems (NKOS) Workshop
ECDL2005 September 22 Vienna

Mapping Knowledge Organisation Systems: User-centred Strategies

An NKOS Workshop will take place on September 22nd, as part of ECDL 2005 in Vienna. Proposals are invited for presentations (20 minutes) on
work or projects related to the themes of the workshop or to NKOS more generally. Presentations from the Workshop may be selected for
consideration in a forthcoming (early 2006) NKOS special issue of the journal New Review of Hypermedia and Multimedia.

Please email proposals (approx 500 words including aims, methods, main findings) by June 20 to Douglas Tudhope. Advance indication that you
intend to submit would be helpful. Proposals will be peer-reviewed by the program committee and notification of acceptance will be given by
July 15. After the workshop, copies of presentations will be made available on this website.
See attached pdf for full details or visit the workshop website:
http://www2.db.dk/nkos2005/

The workshop aims to address key challenges for KOS posed by the overlapping themes of
  * User-centred design issues
  * Mapping between different KOS
  * KOS representations and service protocols

However other topics can also be proposed. See below for indicative list of topics and provisional schedule.

Main Contact: Douglas Tudhope,
Hypermedia Research Unit, School of Computing,
University of Glamorgan
Pontypridd, CF37 1DL, Wales, UK
Email: dstudhope at glam.ac.uk
http://www.comp.glam.ac.uk/pages/staff/dstudhope

Co-organiser: Marianne Lykke Nielsen,
Department of Information Studies, Royal School of Library and Information Science, Aalborg Branch, Aalborg, Denmark
E-mail: mln at db.dk
http://www2.db.dk/mln/

Background
Knowledge Organization Systems, such as classifications, gazetteers, lexical databases, ontologies, taxonomies and thesauri, attempt to
model the underlying semantic structure of a domain for the purposes of retrieval. New networked KOS services and applications are emerging
and we have the opportunity to draw on a number of technologies that can be combined to yield new solutions.

The workshop aims to address the following key themes:
  * User-centred design issues - User-centred design strategies for KOS. How to develop understandable and thorough descriptions of concepts
and terms? How to show and explain relationships? The challenge is to find the appropriate level of explanation, clarity and conciseness.
  * Mapping between different KOS - How to achieve semantic interoperability? Cross-browsing and cross-searching between distributed KOS
services. Mapping between terms, classes, systems and types of KOS. Innovative visualization methods to support KOS development and mapping.
  * KOS representations and service protocols - A basic infrastructure is needed to provide protocols for networked, programmatic access to
a variety of vocabularies for different end users and applications. These require standard representations in formats such as RDF/XML. What
is the appropriate granularity of base services to apply in evolving Web/Grid environments?

Other topics for presentations can also be proposed.

Program committee
Hanne Albrechtsen, Risø National Laboratory, Denmark
Stella Dextre Clarke, Luke House, Wantage, United Kingdom
Ron Davies, Information Consultant, Brussels, Belgium
Lois Delcambre, Computer Science Department, Portland State University, USA
Martin Doerr, Institute of Computer Science, Foundation for Research and Technology, Greece
Traugott Koch, Knowledge Technologies Group, Lund University, Sweden
Alistair Miles, CCLRC - Rutherford Appleton Laboratory, United Kingdom
Dagobert Soergel, University of Maryland, USA
Diane Vizine-Goetz, OCLC Research, USA
Marcia Zeng, Kent State University, USA