RE [crm-sig] Have endurance!

martin martin at ics.forth.gr
Fri Apr 1 13:07:59 EEST 2005

Hi Edmund,

I agree with you completely. My point was however the opposite:
Practitioners distinguish clearly between things and events, but
the philosophers seem not to have found so far a clear understanding
of what the difference between the two is. So some propose not to
distinguish between both, whereas in the CRM we declare that there is
no common instance of Persitent Item and Temporal Entity. If two concepts
are not well-distinguished, one would however expect to find instances in the
"grey zones" in between. So either they don't exist, or we have not encountered
them in the practical scope of the CRM, or the generalization of the
psychological difference between things and events is based on other essential
properties than those discussed by the respective philosophers.

So, either the distinction is real, and our psychology supports it due to
innate biological experience, or we are deceived by our psychology, and there is no
difference, or, the nature of the difference is different from the one
discussed (e.g. "being wholy present at each point in time).

I would not exclude the case that certain very high abstraction levels
have no logical justification. I am no philosopher, but I have the impression
that Aristotle and Feyerabend support this idea, which does not mean that
this case is already at this level of abstraction.

I like this discussion for methodological reasons, because the AI and
Semantic Web community attempts to declare everything logically, which
poses the question of where the limits of logical explanation are.

Cheers,

Martin