[crm-sig] CRM translation (and XML)

Tyler Bell tyler.bell at oxarchdigital.com
Fri Oct 1 18:10:47 EEST 2004

When can we translate the CRM into English Martin?

Har! just kidding; a little Friday CRM humor...

On a more serious note, I strongly feel that we should explore XML
markup here.  It would certainly facilitate the process of creating,
comparing and publishing multiple language versions of the CRM. This is
what I mean:

Creating --  the formal structure of XML would allow individuals to work
on a specific 'chunk' of text which would facilitate the distribution of
translation task.  Users can edit in any text app.  Sure, you can do
this now in Word, but the XML structure provides a lucid and manageable
encapsulation.

Comparing -- Because classes and properties have/are unique identifiers,
an xpath query allows one to pull out different translations of the same
class/property definition for immediate comparison.

Publishing -- The formal structuring would allow one to write very
straightforward web applications that can translate a single class or
property on the fly, without having to move to a different language
version of the entire CRM.

Along these lines, I would suggest that we design an XML schema for the
recording of the CRM.  This would be very straightforward and facilitate
its exchange and integration with other systems and document formats,
including DocBook XML.

Bit large a post for a Friday...

Tyler