[crm-sig] interesting technology

martin martin at ics.forth.gr
Thu Sep 18 18:43:02 EEST 2003

Dear All,

Juha Makkonen, MSc, Reseacher · Department of Computer Science
University of Helsinki
jamakkon at cs.helsinki.fi
040 - 767 4000 · 09 - 191 44187 ·
www.cs.helsinki.fi/~jamakkon

...presented on ECDL2003 in Trondheim work on extracting events from
free text, news actually. I regard this as a very promising method to
extract metadata compatible with the CIDOC CRM. Juha is quite interested
in other material to investigate. My first thought was, if anyone could
make Juha available exhibition catalogues in electronic form in an
unburocratic way for testing his algorithms. For me, this would be an
immense step forward. A more thorough test could be to use exhibition
catalogues, particularly some dedicated to a specific artist, with
biographical texts.

Please let me know, if you see any possibility to support this research.

Best wishes,