[crm-sig] CIDOC CRM poster?

Crofts Nicholas (DAEL) nicholas.crofts at etat.ge.ch
Wed Feb 12 13:31:24 EET 2003

Dear all,

The attached file is a Word document containing a single image. This is a
vector image of the CRM version 3.2 showing all the classes (entities) but
omitting attributes (property links.) The colouring has no semantic
significance other than to highlight the different levels of depth.

The document is configured for A3 paper by default. This would need to be
changed according to local print stock. The image itself can be resized
easily in word by clicking on it once, to reveal the drag points, and by
pulling on one of the corners. NB pulling a drag points on the side of the
image will deform it.

Printed out at A3 size, the text labels of the entities remains readable. I
often make the point in presentations that inspite of itsapparent
complexity, the entire CRM model can be represented on a single A3 sheet
without requiring a maginifying glass (though I admit I do need to wear
reading glasses!)

I prepared this graphic for my own use using a standard CASE tool. If
members of the SIG find it useful it could be updated to reflect the current
state of the model and improved in various ways to enhance its use as a tool
for communication.

An alternative to this "poster" approach is to use a high level
representation which omits all the classes beneath a certain depth. I have
found this quite useful as way of explaining the basic concepts without
"frightening the horses".

Best wishes

Nick Crofts

P.S I believe some members of the SIG have considered transforming this
graphic into a "mobile" - as an ontology training tool for the very young. I
don't know how much progress has been made in this direction. ;-)