[crm-sig] Issue 101. Scope Note E73 to contain Multimedia Obj ects

Gill, Tony TG at mellon.org
Tue Oct 15 21:31:45 EEST 2002

I think we're making progress with this one...

However, in the same way that the scope note for Actors refers to its
subclasses ("Individual people should be documented as instances of E21
Person, whereas groups should be documented as instances of either E74 Group
or its subclass E40 Legal Body"), I think we need to explicitly mention
Linguistic Objects in the scope note for Information Objects to avoid the
potential confusion caused by duplicate examples:

Scope Note: An identifiable immaterial item, such as a poem, joke, data set,
image, text, multimedia object, procedural prescription, computer program
code, algorithm or mathematical formulae, that constitutes a unit for
documentation and has an objectively recognizable structure. An information
object does not depend on its physical carrier, which can include human
memory, and can exist on one or more carriers. Information objects of a
linguistic nature should be documented as instances of the E33 Linguistic
Object subclass.  Conceptual items such as types and classes are not
information objects, nor are ideas without a reproducible expression.

Examples: Image BM000038850.JPG from the Clayton Herbarium in London, E. A.
Poe's "The Raven", the movie "The Seven Samurai" by Akira Kurosawa, the
Maxwell Equations.

Cheers,

T.
Tony Gill
ArtSTOR Director of Metadata, The Andrew W. Mellon Foundation,
140 East 62nd Street, New York, NY, 10021, USA
t1 (direct): +1 (646) 274-2265,  t2: +1 (212) 838-8400
w: http://www.mellon.org,  f: +1 (212) 223-2778