[crm-sig] issue 97

martin martin at ics.forth.gr
Tue Oct 15 20:54:00 EEST 2002

From: "Lee, Edmund" <edmund.lee at english-heritage.org.uk>
To: "'Gill, Tony'" <TG at mellon.org>
Cc: "'crm-sig at ics.forth.gr'" <crm-sig at ics.forth.gr>
Subject: RE: [crm-sig] Issue 97
Date: Tue, 15 Oct 2002 16:11:30 +0100

Hello all,

I agree with Tony's suggestion to remove 'scientifically'. Should the scope
note also refer to 'indexing' or is this covered by the supercalss
'Attribute assignment'? I've recently discussed the distinction between
Classification and indexing with Martin and others on the FISH list (see
www.fish-forum.info and view the 'recent discussion' discussion list for
September). By indexing I mean 'the assignment of terms, often from a
controlled vocabulary, to another entity to assist in retrieval or
presentation of the indexed information'. I feel this may be a sufficiently
distinct action from classification to merit separate mention in the scope
note.

Ed
English Heritage