[crm-sig] Issue 97

Gill, Tony TG at mellon.org
Tue Oct 15 17:49:37 EEST 2002

Martin,

I would recommend removing the word "scientifically" -- this could easily be
seen to exclude the assignment of Dewey clasmarks, subject headings,
iconographic classifications etc., which presumably are well within both our
prtactical and intended scope. Below is a version that I have edited
slightly for grammar etc.:

This entity describes the act of classifying another entity, for example an
object, a specimen, an action or a concept. The value of classification
depends critically on the identity of the classifier and the date that the
classification was assigned. This entity also comprises the process of
"determination," i.e. the systematic and molecular identification of a
specimen in biology.

Example: "first classification of object GE34604 as Lament Cloth, October 2,
1998 by I.Dionissiadou".

Cheers,

T.
Tony Gill, ArtSTOR Director of Metadata
The Andrew W. Mellon Foundation, 140 East 62nd Street, NY, 10021, USA
t1 (direct): +1 (646) 274-2265,  t2: +1 (212) 838-8400