[crm-sig] Right & Legal Object

martin martin at ics.forth.gr
Mon Oct 14 12:26:17 EEST 2002

Dear All,

Following the decision in Copenhagen to regard  legal objects only under Stuff, for the purpose of the
CRM, which does not intend to provide a general model of legal issues, here my proposal for the required
revision of the respective scope notes:

E30 Right

Subclass of: Conceptual Object

Scope Note: Rights are used in the sense of legal privileges such as the right of property, reproduction rights, etc.

New proposed scope note:
Scope Note: Rights are used in the sense of legal privileges on the use of material and immaterial things and derivatives of those,
                     such as the right of property, reproduction rights, etc.
                     Example: Copyright of CIDOC on the "Definition of the CIDOC Conceptual Reference Model", version 2.1
E72 Legal Object

Subclass of:  Stuff
Superclass of:  Information Object
Physical Stuff

Scope Note: An identifiable item, which can be owned or people can have a right on. It is not restricted to Stuff. May be Legal Bodies should be included.

Properties:
P104 is subject to (applies to): E30 Right
P105 right held by (has right on): E39 Actor
(P105.1 has type: E55 Type)

New proposed scope note:
Scope Note: A material or immaterial item, which can be owned or people can have a right on its use. This holds in general for all material stuff.
                    In the case of conceptual objects however, identity or exploitation may not be clear enough to become subject to a right,
                    such as taxa and inspirations. Ownership of corporations it currently regarded as out of scope of the CRM.
                    Example: The Cullinan, "Definition of the CIDOC Conceptual Reference Model", version 2.1.

best wishes,