[crm-sig] scope note for E18, E28, issue 66

martin martin at ics.forth.gr
Fri Oct 11 22:28:44 EEST 2002

Dear All,

Following the decision in Copenhagen, here my proposal:

E18 Physical Stuff

Subclass of:    Legal Object
Superclass of:  Physical Object
Physical Man-Made Stuff
Physical Feature

Scope Note: Physical stuff is an abstract notion that groups all physical objects, man-made and natural, as well as physical features
                    of objects, such as holes. We use the term 'feature' to refer to anything of a material nature, such as scratches, holes,
                    rivers, and stains, which it would be strange to refer to as ‘objects’.
New scope note:
Scope Note: Physical stuff is an abstract notion that groups all physical objects, man-made and natural, as well as physical features
                    of objects, such as holes. We use the term 'feature' to refer to anything of a material nature, such as scratches, holes,
                    rivers, and stains, which it would be strange to refer to as ‘objects’. Physical stuff is disjoint from E28 Conceptual Object,
                    the immaterial products. The latter are exclusively man-made. Physical stuff can only be present at one place at a time, whereas
                    conceptual objects may be present at multiple places at a time via multiple physical carriers.  Physical stuff ceases to exist by
                    destruction, whereas conceptual objects ceases to exist by loss of the last carrier or by forgetting.
                    Examples: Me, the Cave of Dirou in Peloponnese, the Euphrat River, Lassie the dog, the logbook of the Endeavor.

::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
E28 Conceptual Object

Subclass of:    Man-Made Stuff
Superclass of:  Right
Information Object
Type

Scope note: This entity is the attempt to group the non-material products of our minds, and specifically to allow for reasoning about their identity, circumstances of creation and historical
implications. Characteristically, these things are created, invented or thought, and somehow documented or communicated between persons. Conceptual objects need not have a particular carrier, but may
be found on several different carriers, such as paper, electronic signals, marks, audio media, paintings, photos, human memory, etc. They cannot be destroyed as long as they exist on at least one
carrier or in memory. Examples include texts, maps, photos, music, sounds, fairy tales, signs, patterns, symbols, plans, rights, and rules. A greater distinction could be made between products having
a clear identity, such as a specific text, or photographs, and the ideas and concepts shared and traded by groups of people.

New scope note:

Scope note:  This entity is the attempt to group the non-material products of our minds and of technical processes such as image taking, and
                    specifically to allow for reasoning about their identity, circumstances of creation and historical implications. Characteristically, these
                    things are created, invented or thought, and somehow documented or communicated between persons and technical means of
                    communication. Conceptual objects need not have a particular carrier, but may be found on several different carriers, such as paper,
                    electronic signals, marks, audio media, paintings, photos, human memory, etc. They cannot be destroyed as long as they exist on at
                    least one carrier or in memory. Examples include texts, maps, photos, music, sounds, fairy tales, signs, patterns, symbols, plans,
                    rights, rules, types, taxa and other concepts. A greater distinction is  made between products having a clear identity,
                    such as a specific text, or photographs, the Information Objects and the ideas and concepts shared and traded by groups of people.
                    Conceptual objects are disjoint from physical stuff, the material things. The latter may be man-made or not. Physical stuff can only
                    be present at one place at a time, whereas conceptual objects may be present at multiple places at a time via multiple physical
                    carriers.
                    Examples: The contents of "Definition of the CIDOCobject-oriented Conceptual Reference Model, version 3.3.2, Sept.2002",
                                    the copyright by CIDOC on the latter, the species fringilla coelebs, the sound track of The Beatles "Yellow
                                    Submarine", Albrecht Dürer's signature, Unicorn.