[crm-sig] Issue 101. Scope Note E73 to contain Multimedia Objects

PATRICK.LE-BOEUF at bnf.fr PATRICK.LE-BOEUF at bnf.fr
Thu Oct 10 11:39:26 EEST 2002

Dear Tony,
Some suggestions again:

Scope Note: An identifiable immaterial item, such as a process >> (I would say
"including processes" rather "such as a process")>> or a digital object >> (in
my opinion, a digital object is still a carrier, not a content, and I understand
E73 Information object as exclusively covering contents) >>, that constitutes a
unit for documentation and has an objectively recognizable structure. It does
not include conceptual items such as types >> (my (perhaps wrong) suggestion:
"conceptual classes such as types") >>, ideas etc. >> (my suggestion: "nor ideas
that have no distinct expression [I dare not add: "nor manifestation" because
this would be too FRBR-ish, but this is exactly how I understand it; E73
actually matches FRBR Expression, provided it has at least one manifestation] as
such but which other creations may be suffused with, nor mere concepts") >>

>> As to the examples: "multimedia objects" is ambiguous, the phrase may be
understood as pertaining either to a content or to a carrier. "Images" and
"texts" also are ambiguous, it should be made clear that it is not the physical
result that is covered, but the creation "over" it or, as the <indecs> model
puts it, the "abstraction" that is embodied in it. >>

Issue 101. Scope Note E73 to contain Multimedia Objects
http://cidoc.ics.forth.gr/crm_issues.html#is101

Proposal
TG to explicitly mention multimedia objects and reference Jane Hunter's mpeg7
paper in extension to scope note for Information Object (E73).

CURRENT SCOPE NOTE:
Scope Note: An identifiable immaterial item, which constitutes a unit for
documentation and has an objectively recognizable structure.
Examples: data sets, images, texts, procedure prescriptions. It does not include
types, ideas etc.

PROPOSED REVISED SCOPE NOTE:
Scope Note: An identifiable immaterial item, such as a process or a digital
object, that constitutes a unit for documentation and has an objectively
recognizable structure. It does not include conceptual items such as types,
ideas etc.

Examples: data sets, images, texts, multimedia objects, procedure prescriptions,
computer program code, algorithms, mathematical formulae.

Note: The CIDOC CRM does not attempt to model the technical attributes of
digital media in detail, as this is beyond its intended scope. However,
extensions to model museum multimedia in greater detail, such as those described
in Jane Hunter, "Combining the CIDOC CRM and MPEG-7 to Describe Multimedia in
Museums" [1], are both appropriate and compatible.

1. http://www.archimuse.com/mw2002/papers/hunter/hunter.html

Cheers,

T.
Tony Gill, ArtSTOR Director of Metadata
The Andrew W. Mellon Foundation, 140 East 62nd Street, NY, 10021, USA
t1 (direct): +1 (646) 274-2265,  t2: +1 (212) 838-8400
w: http://www.mellon.org,  f: +1 (212) 223-2778