[crm-sig] RE: Issue 100. Scope note of E33 Linguistic Object

Gill, Tony TG at mellon.org
Mon Oct 7 17:04:20 EEST 2002

> Dear Tony,
> Perhaps we could add as a further example: "Doktoro Jekyll
> kaj Sinjoro Hyde" (a
> translation of Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde into Esperanto); in my
> opinion, Jabberwocky
> is basically in English (even though a very strange English
> indeed), and I think
> it is important to state that such "artificial" languages as
> Esperanto are
> deemed "natural" enough to apply to E33 Linguistic Object.
> Best wishes,
> Patrick

Excellent suggestion Patrick, thanks -- here is the revised proposal:

100. Scope note of E33 Linguistic Object
http://cidoc.ics.forth.gr/crm_issues.html#is100

Change scope note to E33 linguistic Object - replace "physical language"
with "natural language". Enrich scope note to include languages which are
not documented in writing - see "Jabberwocky" by Lewis Carroll. Computer
languages and other formal lanuages are to be excluded (to be kept as
Information Objects).

CURRENT SCOPE NOTE, CRM v.3.3.2

This entity comprises texts of all kind, be they written or recorded speech,
in any physical language.

PROPOSED NEW SCOPE NOTE:

The Linguistic Object entity describes identifiable expressions in a natural
language. Linguistic Objects can be expressed in many ways: For example, as
written text, recorded speech or sign language. However, the CRM treats
Linguistic Objects as distinct from the medium or method by which they are
expressed. Note that expressions in formal languages, such as computer code
or mathematical formulae, are not treated as Linguistic Objects by the CRM;
these should be modeled as instances of E73 Information Object.

Examples: the text of the Ellesmere Chaucer manuscript; the lyrics of the
song "Blue Suede Shoes"; the text of the Jabberwocky by Lewis Carroll; the
text of "Doktoro Jekyll kaj Sinjoro Hyde" (an Esperanto translation of Dr
Jekyll and Mr Hyde).

Cheers,

T.