[crm-sig] New proposal: E44 Place Appellation scope note revision

martin martin at ics.forth.gr
Fri Jun 28 13:49:40 EEST 2002

Dear All,

On behalf of Tony, I repeat the following message that got caught in the
list server:

From: Tony Gill <tony_gill at notes.rlg.org>
Date: Thu, 27 Jun 2002 11:30:05 -0700

Currently, the scope note for E44 Place Appellation reads:

> "A place appellation is any sort of identifier used to refer to a place.
> Place appellations may vary over time, and the same appellation may be
> used to refer to several places, either because of cultural shifts, or
> because things move around. These unstable aspects of place appellations
> are dealt with in the more general Appellation class."

However, the scope note for Appellation does not in fact deal with these
unstable aspects of appellations. The temporal validity of properties in
general is CRM Open Issue 23:
http://cidoc.ics.forth.gr/crm_issues.html#is23

In order to expedite a quick solution to the misleading E44 scope note
issue, I propose a simple edit to remove the final sentence:

"A place appellation is any sort of identifier used to refer to a place.
Place appellations may vary over time, and the same appellation may be
used to refer to several places, either because of cultural shifts, or
because things move around."

Cheers,

T.