[crm-sig] Proposal for Issue 72. Scope note of Modification

Tony Gill Tony_Gill at notes.rlg.org
Sat Jun 22 05:11:09 EEST 2002

Background
The scope note of E11 Modification Event refers only to intentional
modifications. That seems to be too narrow.
(http://cidoc.ics.forth.gr/crm_issues.html#is72)

E11 Modification Event

Belongs to:     Period Type
Subclass of:    Activity
Superclass of:  Production

>>Current Scope Note:
This entity comprises all activities which intentionally alter physical
objects, regardless of the degree of intervention: creation of some item
from raw material, restorations, use of ancient objects in jewelry, etc..
Since many cases the distinction between modification and creation is not
clear, and the actions implied are basically the same, modification is
regarded as the more general (and less ambiguous) concept. This implies
that some items may be consumed or destroyed in a modification process,
and others emerge from it. Typically, objects involved in the process,
such as tools, materials, etc., which are foreseen by the applied
technique are modeled as attributes of the Design or Procedure, for
reasons of efficient data representation. Nevertheless, unusual and
remarkable items used for a specific instance of a process should be
referred to here.

This entity is thought to be collective, e.g. the printing of a thousand
books should be one event. Conservation actions can be modeled as a type
of modification.

>>Proposed New Scope Note
This entity comprises all activities that alter or change physical
man-made objects. Examples of modification events include the creation of
an item from raw materials, the restoration or conservation of an object,
or the re-use of an ancient object in the creation of a new object. This
entity can be collective; the printing of a thousand books, for example,
would normally be considered as a single event.

Since the distinction between modification and creation is not always
clear, modification is regarded as the more generally applicable concept.
This implies that some items may be consumed or destroyed in a
modification event, and that others may be created as a result of it.
Typically, objects routinely involved in the modification event, such as
tools or materials, are modeled as attributes of the Design or Procedure
for efficient data representation. However, unusual and remarkable items
or materials used for a specific instance of a modification event should
be associated with the modification event.

--
Notes: I removed the notion of intentionality from the scope notes, as per
the issue statement, since not all modifications in our domain of

I also made some editorial changes to (hopefully) improve clarity.

Appended proposal: Having now written several entity scope notes, some
property scope notes, and contributed the E78 Collection entity to the
CRM, I propose that my name be added to the list of Editors of the CRM for
the next edition (Martin, I warned you that I wasn't too bashful to
propose this!)

Cheers,

T.