[crm-sig] New CRM Website layout

Tony Gill tony_gill at notes.rlg.org
Sat Jun 1 02:53:49 EEST 2002

Hi Martin,

The proposed web navigational structure seems somewhat confusing to me;
for example, I would think that "SIG Members" should be under "The Team"
rather than "Supporters & Collaboration", and there doesn't seem to be
very much distinction between "Documents" and "Downloads" -- most of the
"properties" of the two sections are the same.

Here is a slightly edited version of my 4 March suggestion for website
hierarchy:

Home page: Should have a short, snappy and comprehensible description of
the CIDOC CRM in 1 or 2 paragraphs, plus links to other sections, e.g.:

The CIDOC CRM:
-  Introduction (short, snappy intro of about 3-6 paragraphs, or about 500
words);
-  Scope;
-  Detailed description of the CRM;
-  CRM Definition (use this page ONLY for links to versions of the
   CRM definition; current version preferably in HTML as well as RTF);
-  Class Hierarchy (This urgently needs updating, even if
   we have to use a different presentation technique, e.g. static
   image. Actually, a static image of the entire class hierarchy
   from SIS would be helpful in any case);
-  Tutorials (links to intros., teaching materials etc.);
-  Mappings (links to mapping instructions and documents);
-  Validation;
-  Issues (database driven issues page);
-  Frequently Asked Questions

CIDOC CRM SIG:
-  Introduction;
-  Charter (currently "Status & Objectives");
-  Members;
-  Meetings & Reports (info about SIG meetings ONLY, not other events
   or meetings)
-  Collaboration (related initiatives, e.g. ABC/Harmony, DELOS etc.)
-  Events (other events where the CRM is presented, discussed etc.)
-  Mailing List

CHIOS:
- Introduction
- Meetings & Reports (password-protected?)
- Members Only area (password protected)
- Mailing List (password-protected)

Info Forum:
- Applications & Politics
- Philosophical Considerations
- Etc. etc.
(Background papers on oo modelling, knowledge representation etc.,
useful but not primarily concerned with the CRM)

Cheers,

T.
Tony Gill <tony.gill at notes.rlg.org>, RLG <http://www.rlg.org/>
1200 Villa Street, Mountain View, CA 94041 USA
Voice: +1 (650) 691-2304 <> Fax: +1 (650) 964-1461

martin <martin at ics.forth.gr>
Sent by: owner-crm-sig at ics.forth.gr
21/05/2002 03:40 AM