[crm-sig] 4th joined meeting of CIDOC CRM SIG and ISO/TC46/SC4/WG9

martin martin at ics.forth.gr
Tue Jul 9 19:09:39 EEST 2002

Dear All,

For those not present in Copenhagen, a short report on the
meeting. A full report will follow soon.

The meeting successfully closed all open amendment issues.

The CRM comprises now ten years of experience in cultural
information modelling, and 3 years of systematic search to
make sure that all important aspects of cultural information
exchange are covered adequately by the CIDOC CRM.
The Group felt, that this work has been brought to an end
successfully.

Therefore Group decided, that the CIDOC CRM is finalized from a modelling
perspective. This means, that no more constructs will be added to the
CRM, no modelling approach will be changed and the scope of the CRM is
regarded as what it covers now.

We shall soon publish the respective version 3.4.0, which is basically an
extension of the current version 3.2.

We wish to thank all participants for the excellent meeting and the
spirit of collaboration despite the huge amount of work, that left virtually
no free minute. we wish also to thank Lene Rold and her group for the
excellent local organisation and support.

Until the next meeting, there is still space to fix problems of
inner consistency. It turned out that the best control of the inner semantic
consistency of the Model is the review of all properties in context
(i.e. if the Model describes "intended models" or possible states of
affairs we are interested in. The logical consistency is controlled
by automatic tools).

The second review and final decision on about a hundred
scope notes out of 130 brought up only two such cases, were a property was
found to be covered by another one. Besides that, this review brought up
8 proposals for improvement of other entity scope notes and a few property
names.

It is planned to create the missing property scope notes and to review all
30 property scope notes not yet officially accepted latest a month before
the next meeting, so that any inner inconsistencies that may be revealed
in this process can be resolved before the next meeting. Following this plan,
the next meeting will finalize the last details in the definition of the
CIDOC CRM, in time with our intended working schedule.

Further, the next meeting will address questions of application, user contact
and dissemination, extended documentation and the "packaging" and formatting
of the standard. It will make a particular focus on making the CIDOC CRM
and its application potential comprehensible to all potential users.
We hope for great participation.

The planned dates are : Tuesday, October 22-25, alternatively
Tuesday October 29 - Nov 1.

Venue:
City of Rethymnon, 60 km west of Heraklion, easy to reach with
public transport, in the historic building of the Institute of
Mediterranean Studies of FORTH. It is a beautiful place in a quiet area
in the historical center of Rethymnon, the most beautiful city center
in Crete.

It will be easy to find accommodation in that season.
Please let me know as soon as possible, if you plan to attend, and
if one of both dates causes a problem for your coming.

best wishes,