[crm-sig] Issue 4, scope notes

martin martin at ics.forth.gr
Wed Jan 30 12:05:36 EET 2002

Dear Edmund,

Here Allen's home page. See selected papers on Temporal Reasoning:
http://www.cs.rochester.edu/u/james/

The following two publications from our group deal with the issue of querying such intervals,
introducing indeterminacy. This is mandatory for a consistent handling of
historical temporal references. The question: "what happened 43 BC" can strictly
not be answered. The question that can be answered is either "which events may have happened
within 43 BC" (or slightly before or after), and "which events must have happened within 43 BC".

http://www.ics.forth.gr/proj/isst/Publications/paperlink/implementing_a_temporal_datatype.ps.gz
http://www.vldb.org/conf/2000/P441.pdf

We have implemented this logic for the database of the Greek Archive of Monuments to the satisfaction of
the archeologists and historians there. I think CHIN, the City of Geneva, and SSL have implemented an
equivalent logic.

The paper:
B. Nebel, H.-J. Bόrckert, Reasoning about Temporal Relations: A Maximal Tractable Subclass of Allen's Interval Algebra, Journal of the ACM,
42(1): 43-66, 1995.
(ftp://ftp.informatik.uni-freiburg.de/documents/papers/ki/nebel-burckert-jacm95.ps.gz)

proves, that only the relationships we have selected are tractable. This is important, because it means that
you can implement it in a database search engine.

best,

Martin

         Web-site: http://www.ics.forth.gr/proj/isst         |