[crm-sig] E26 Physical Feature scope note

martin martin at ics.forth.gr
Fri Jan 11 13:45:34 EET 2002

Dear All,

Here my proposal to modify the scope note of E26 Physical Feature, following the action item
of the CIDOC CRM SIG meeting in Paris:

Current scope note (version 3.2):

This class was introduced in order to avoid the counter-intuitive sense of referring to holes and similar features of objects as physical
objects. Features are logically or physically attached to a particular physical object, and they share many of the attributes of physical
objects - they can be measured and dated, and we can sometimes say who was responsible for them. However, you can't pick up a hole and put it in
your pocket - Yellow Submarine not withstanding. Physical feature groups together all features of physical objects. Cf. Man-made features for
the results of human intervention.

Proposed scope note:

Features are logically or physically attached in an integral way to a particular physical object, and they share many of the attributes of
physical objects. They have a non-zero one-, two- or three-dimensional geometric extent, but there are no natural borders that separate them
completely in an objective way from the carrier object, as e.g. a door would be attached by hinges to a house.

They can be features in a narrower sense, like scratches, holes, reliefs, surface colours, reflection zones in an opal crystal, a density change
in a piece of wood. In the wider sense, they are portions of particular objects with partially imaginary borders, like the core of earth, a real
estate on the surface of earth, a landscape, the head of a contiguous marble statue. They can be measured and dated, and we can sometimes say
who was responsible for them. They cannot be separated from the carrier object, but a smaller segment of the carrier object may be identified
(or sometimes removed) carrying the complete feature. Cf. Man-made features for the results of human intervention.

This definition implies the so-called "fiat objects" [B.Smith & A.Varzi], i.e. artificially defined objects, except for aggregates or
collections of objects. Physical Objects, in contrast, imply the so-called "bona fide
objects", i.e. naturally defined objects, but also aggregates and collections of those.

Examples: The temple in Abu Simbel before its removal, my nose, Albrecht Duerer's signature on his painting of
          Charles the Great, the destroyed part of the nose of the Great Sphinx in Gizeh.

(My examples may not all be correctly stated)

 Dr. Martin Doerr              |  Vox:+30(81)391625          |
 Senior Researcher             |  Fax:+30(81)391609          |

               Centre for Cultural Informatics               |

         Web-site: http://www.ics.forth.gr/proj/isst         |