[crm-sig] Implementation guideline: Addresses

Gill, Tony TG at mellon.org
Sat Dec 14 00:39:49 EET 2002

Detlev,

One small correction; in the report, you said:

"Some newer standards with an address component such as the widely adopted
vCard data format [3] do not even attempt to distinguish between address
elements."

This is not entirely true; although vCard doesn't *require* addresses to be
parsed to this level of detail, it does provide the mechanism to do so, in
the form of subelements for the Address element:

 Extended Address       Extadd
 Street Address         Street
 Locality               Locality
 Region                 Region
 Postal Code            Pcode
 Country                Country

See section 3.4: http://www.w3.org/TR/vcard-rdf#3

Cheers,

T.
Tony Gill
ArtSTOR Director of Metadata, The Andrew W. Mellon Foundation,
140 East 62nd Street, New York, NY, 10021, USA
t1 (direct): +1 (646) 274-2265,  t2: +1 (212) 838-8400