[crm-sig] traditional care

martin martin at ics.forth.gr
Thu Aug 15 14:52:19 EEST 2002

Hi Jane,

Jane Hunter wrote:

> Hi Martin,
>
> I think this is the right approach but have a few queries.
>
> 1. As far as I can see a "norm" does not currently exist under
> "Conceptual Object" in version 3.2 of the CRM - or am I looking at an
> old version?

The current scope of the CRM does exclude future and general treatment
of legal aspects. It contains the notion of "E30 Right" only to the degree normally
documented in museums as pertaining to museum objects.

I believe, that aspects of planning and laws can be embedded smoothly in
the CRM, as a "compatible extension".

So, a generalization of E30 Right should be a specialization of E28 Conceptual Object.

> 2. I'm also not sure that the term "norm" is a good representation -
> what is its derivation? Perhaps "vision" or "expectation" might be a
> better term?

I am not sure about all meanings of "norm". I saw it used in legal ontologies as the generalization
of rights, prohibitions and prescriptions imposed by a social system.
Here I would extend the notion to things individuals want to happen once or
repeatedly under comparable conditions, things they "plan".

"Expectation" may be a part of that?

> But I think the definition below is almost right:
>
> - An "Expectation" is "created" by an Actor, even if that is in unknown
> past, and by an ethnic group.
> - It "refers to" types of things - or actual things (ids) or groups of
> things?

Sure. Groups of things can be either classes of things or aggregates.
In the CRM, Physical Object implies aggregates with natural unity criteria,
like functional units etc. Extensions of E55 Type (...P2 has type) imply all
groups of things characterized by common properties, or regarded as a
category by humans (see G.Lakoff !).

> - It "uses" a "plan".
> - It is "valid for" a time-span.
>
> And is the "plan" the identifier for the contractual document or is it
> a description of the proposed design/procedure to be applied?

I would regard it as the latter. It may be part of the contractual
document. I regard the contractual document as the "is documented in" of
the norm/planning/expectation itself.

Practice should show, if this distinction is useful, e.g when reusing a
"plan", or if more intellectual levels need distinction.

Martin