[crm-sig] New members, meeting schedule.

martin martin at ics.forth.gr
Mon Apr 15 23:03:28 EEST 2002

Dear All,

a) I have to pleasure to announce three new active members in our group:

    The National Museum of the American Indian, Smithsonian Institution,
    Washington, represented by David Bridge.

    Tokyo National University of Fine Arts and Music, Department of Inter-Media Art,
    represented by Prof. Ryoji MURATA

    Zoologisches Forschungsinstitut & Museum Alexander Koenig (ZFMK), Bonn,
    represented by Karl-Heinz Lampe

The new members will strengthen the expertise of our group in the respective fields and
bring in very interesting application cases.

b) The next (4th) CIDOC CRM SIG and ISO/TC46/SC4/WG9 meeting is scheduled for
    July 2-5, in Copenhagen, and will be hosted by the National Museum of Denmark.

    It will be devoted to decide on the last contents amendments, as proposed in the last
    meeting (minutes to appear soon), and going to be published on the issues list. Further decisions
    on the complete set of scope notes have to be taken, particularly those elaborated in the
    last meeting. Then the focus of the group will shift to address with priority issues
    of presentation, dissemination,training and application and attracting more members.

c) The 5th CIDDOC CRM SIG and ISO/TC46/SC4/WG9 meeting is scheduled for
    November, in Heraklion, Crete, and will be hosted by ICS-FORTH

    It will be devoted to make last decisions on scope notes and presentation of the CIDOC CRM
    contents. By this stage, the CIDOC CRM should be ready to propose an FDIS.
    Then the group will focus on dissemination,training and applications, and
    preparation of specific dissemination actions. Question of validating applications and
    proliferation of know-how about the CRM will be addressed, as well as the preparation
   of the sixth meeting.

d) The 6th CIDDOC CRM SIG and ISO/TC46/SC4/WG9 meeting is scheduled for
    early spring 2003. The National Museum of the American Indian, Smithsonian Institution
    offers to host this meeting in Washington.

    This meeting will focus on adressing a wide public, to increase the  visibility and knowledge
    about the CIDOC CRM in the wider community of  museums, archives, libraries, digital libraries,
    publishers, education, system implementers, promoters of the Semantic Web and all others
    producing cultural contents, consuming cultural contents, and those dealing with the enabling
    technology for contents access, management and presentation. It will put the CIDOC CRM in
    a wider context of solving the problem of semantic interoperability, be it within larger organisations
    or the "Semantic Web". It will address questions of making optimal use of the standard
    to become, its further support and related development suited to support semantic interoperability
    in our cummunities and their partners, and how keep it in pace with technological developments
    and social demands. It will make decision on how to continue work from an organisational
    perspective.

All meetings will begin with a tutorial about the CIDOC CRM.

best regards,