[crm-sig] Re:TOPOLOGY

martin martin at ics.forth.gr
Tue Oct 2 17:53:28 EEST 2001

Dear All,

Here a proposal to model spatiotemporal relationships:

All temporal relationships between Temporal Entities are defined
through the relationships of their associated time-spans via
Allen operators:
before
after
equal
meets
met_by
overlaps
overlapped_by
during
contains
starts

Definitions see e.g.
Martin Doerr & Anthi Yiortsou,
  Implementing a Temporal Datatype,
  Technical Report FORTH-ICS/TR-236, 16 pages, November 1998.
  Available: compressed ps file (49 KB). http://www.ics.forth.gr/proj/isst/Publications/paperlink/implementing_a_temporal_datatype.ps.gz

For spatial relationships:

Place
    borders with: Place
    overlaps with: Place

For spatiotemporal relationships:

Period
    overlaps with: Period.
    falls within : Period (existing)

A scope note must distinguish between the part-of
relationship of Period (consists of) and the Spatiotemporal!!! "falls within"

I argue that these are enough on a metadata level, and can support
complex reasoning already.

best,

 Dr. Martin Doerr              |  Vox:+30(81)391625          |
 Senior Researcher             |  Fax:+30(81)391609          |

               Centre for Cultural Informatics               |

         Web-site: http://www.ics.forth.gr/proj/isst         |