[crm-sig] Gerundifying events

Nicholas Crofts nickcrofts at yahoo.com
Sat Nov 24 13:35:33 EET 2001

A couple of typos: "Beginning if Existence" should be "Beginning of Existence". (Though the metaphysical implications of the former are more interesting...;-) "Aqcuiring" should be "Acquiring".
Interesting that you didn't deal with birth (hesitating about the awkwardness of "birthing" perhaps?). It could be gerindificated as "giving Birth" or as "Being Born", depending on who the subject of the action is seen as. I would prefer "Giving Birth" as none of the other activities use passive forms.
As I recall, the "potential for confusion" was related to the fact that some verbs are also nouns, so "E12 Production" might sound like a thing, as in "an RLG-Speilberg production". Using gerunds avoids this confusion. Expressing everything in gerund form is more consistent too.
Cheers
Nick
  Tony Gill <Tony_Gill at notes.rlg.org> wrote: Folks,

In the Actions, I was assigned: "TG to propose new names for activities in
the event hierarchy using gerunds when there is potential for confusion."

Well, I can't remember what the "potential for confusion" was now, so I've
"gerundified" them all:

E7 - - - - Activity (Acting)
E8 - - - - - Acquisition (Aqcuiring)
E9 - - - - - Move (Moving)
E10 - - - - - Transfer of Custody (Transferring Custody)
E11 - - - - - Modification (Modifying)
E12 - - - - - - Production (Producing)
E13 - - - - - Attribute Assignment (Attribute Assigning)
E14 - - - - - - Condition Assessment (Condition Assessing)
E15 - - - - - - Identifier Assignment (Identifier Assigning)
E16 - - - - - - Measurement (Measuring)
E17 - - - - - - Type Assignment (Type Assigning)
E65 - - - - - Conceptual Creation (Conceptually Creating)
E66 - - - - - Formation (Forming)
E63 - - - - Beginning of Existence (Beginning if Existence)
E67 - - - - - Birth
E12 - - - - - Production (Producing)
E65 - - - - - Conceptual Creation (Conceptually Creating)
E66 - - - - - Formation (Forming)
E64 - - - - End of Existence (Ending of Existence)
E6 - - - - - Destruction (Destroying)
E68 - - - - - Dissolution (Dissolving)
E69 - - - - - Death (Dying)

Cheers,

T.
Tony Gill <> tony.gill at notes.rlg.org
Research Libraries Group <> http://www.rlg.org/
1200 Villa Street, Mountain View, CA 94041 USA
Voice: +1 (650) 691-2304 <> Fax: +1 (650) 964-1461

Nicholas Crofts
DAEL / DSI
rue David-Dufour 5
Case postale 22