[crm-sig] First CRM-SIG Meeting: CHANGE OF MEETING ROOM

martin martin at ics.forth.gr
Tue Jun 19 16:50:03 EEST 2001

Dear All,

The first meeting of the CIDOC CRM SIG will take place at:
July Thursday 5, all day (from 9 am to 18'45 pm)
in the Institut del Teatre, room IT P4.1
Institut del Teatre (IT)  Pl. Margarida Xirgu, s/n  08038 Barcelona.

It is within the ICOM Meeting facilities, and known to the ICOM
Conference
organizers. See http://www.icom2001barcelona.org/default.htm.

It will also be announced on our Web-site: http://cidoc.ics.forth.gr.

I repeat the updated invitation message here:

Dear SIG members,

After some delays due to technical problems out of our control, we have
the pleasure to invite
you to the first meeting of the CIDOC CRM Special Interest Group.

The status of the CRM is as follows:

A mature committee draft has been submitted and accepted by ISO TC46,
SC4.
In the meanwhile, the testing of the model has proceeded significantly.
This implies
an equally mature proposal for a slight extension of the model, in order
to cover Dublin Core
semantics, EAD and some dozen other data formats in the museum domain.
The model is currently being successfully used to transform
heterogeneous
museum data into a common representation with CRM semantics in a
collaboration with
CIMI and the Harmony project, and it is basis for several other
standardization activities.
We are now completely confident in the validity of the approach and
overall content.
We need now

 - the support of the wider community of museum professional,
implementors, researchers,
   end users, for dissemination, application and experience feed-back,
and know-how transfer.
- the widest possible consensus on the necessary scope of a first
conceptual reference model for
  the cultural area, not only seen from the insiders, but also seen from
the information seeking
  community. This implies in particular the library and record keeping
communities, educators
  and researchers, and IT implementors in the area.
- the critical review of the current proposal and the formulation of any
additional requirements
  to fulfill the agreed on scope.

Over the time to come, we shall also seek support in the creation of
related documention, both for
the ISO process and for all other outreach activities.

The meeting will take place in Barcelona, on July 5th, right after the
CIDOC conference:

Room IT P4.1
Institut del Teatre (IT),
Pl. Margarida Xirgu, s/n
08038 Barcelona.

from 9 am to 18'45 pm

It is within the ICOM Meeting facilities, and known to the ICOM
Conference
organizers. See http://www.icom2001barcelona.org/default.htm.

This meeting will have the purpose to:

* Introduce the members of the SIG to the CIDOC Conceptual reference
model, contents and
   related activities.
* Introduce the members to the status and support needs of the ISO
process for the CRM.
* To agree on the function and procedures of the SIG.
* To set up a scope and requirements for the CRM in the form to become
ISO standard.
* To establish a feedback procedure to prepare for final decisions on
the next meeting.
* To discuss further activities.

A more detailed agenda will be sent at a later date.

We kindly ask all partners to prepare carefully for this meeting. The
respective documentation
is on our web-site http://cidoc.ics.forth.gr. This meeting is thought to
answer all questions
about the CRM and its utility.

Please inform me, if you encounter difficulties to attend this meeting.

best wishes,

 Dr. Martin Doerr              |  Vox:+30(81)391625          |
 Senior Researcher             |  Fax:+30(81)391609          |

               Centre for Cultural Informatics               |

         Web-site: http://www.ics.forth.gr/proj/isst         |