[crm-sig] MIDAS, English Heritage

martin martin at ics.forth.gr
Wed Jul 11 11:54:23 EEST 2001

Dear All,

I thought this message is of general interest:

You asked for copies of standards that you would like covered by the
CRM.
For information of the meeting therefore I attach a summarised copy of
the
MIDAS data standard - the full version can be viewed online at
http://www.rchme.gov.uk/midas/sitemap.html.

MIDAS is intended to provide a standard for description of monuments,
buildings and related heritage information. It is based in part on the
CIDOC
standards for archaeological sites, so I think it should not be a
difficult
task to integrate the two.

As I have said before, I think the main area of additional work that
might
be needed for CRM to cover the sites and monuments is perhaps  a more
detailed  consideration of Locations, which may be known with different
levels of precision, confidence and accuracy. A related concept that is
increasingly important for the UK heritage sector is the idea of 'Place'
-
ie defining and documenting the character of an 'area' (say for example
an
historic industrial area within a town, or a rural area with a
particular
pastoral economy) as opposed to the traditional focus on individual
buildings or archaeological monuments.

You may be interested to hear that the inaugural meeting of FISH, the
Forum
on Information Standards in Heritage which now has a UK wide remit will
be
held on 18th July in London. I will ensure that relationship of FISH to
the
CIDOC-CRM is considered at that meeting.

Best wishes

Edmund Lee

Data Standards Supervisor
English Heritage
Data Services Unit
National Monuments Record Centre
Kemble Drive
Swindon
SN2 2GZ
United Kingdom

Direct dial 01793-414791 / +44 (1793) 414791
email edmund.lee at rchme.co.uk

Find out more about the English Heritage DSU at
http://www.english-heritage.org.uk/knowledge/index.asp

 Dr. Martin Doerr              |  Vox:+30(81)391625          |
 Senior Researcher             |  Fax:+30(81)391609          |

               Centre for Cultural Informatics               |

         Web-site: http://www.ics.forth.gr/proj/isst         |