[crm-sig] Progress of the CIDOC CRM SIG

martin martin at ics.forth.gr
Tue Aug 7 15:05:35 EEST 2001

Dear Edmund,

Thank you for your comments. I think this is of general interest.

"Lee, Edmund" wrote:

> Martin,
>
> Thank you for circulating the reports from the CRM meetings at Barcelona. I
> have a couple of comments.
>
> Mapping excercises:-
>
> You refer to the SMR97 standard as a target for mapping to CRM. I suggest
> that this may not advance the cause of CRM very far, as the SMR97 standard
> has never been formally published or promoted as a standard by English
> Heritage (formerly the RCHME) and is now somewhat out of date. The work on
> the development of SMR97 did, however, contribute to the physical design of
> an MS-Access 97 database Application for Sites and Monuments Records by
> exeGesIS SDM, a UK based consultancy, in the same way that MIDAS contributed
> to the concept design for the system. That application is now in use in 40+
> SMRs and other cultural institutions. I suggest that a more practical
> mapping excercise would be to map CRM to the physical design of the exeGesIS
> database. Matthew, as DSU Manager, would be well placed to undertake that
> work, which would complemetn the mapping of CRM to MIDAS.

If you all agree, propose to drop SMR97 in favour of the exeGesIS database.
Does it have a specific name?

> Mapping DTD:-
>
> I was very interested to read of this initiative. The DSU uses a self-built
> Access-97 database for mapping data sets to the MIDAS standard. Currently
> some 20 or so such mappings have been done, including both professional SMR
> data sets and amenity group or volunteer records such as the 'Letterbox
> Study Group' and the 'British Sundial Society'.
>
> Currently it is only designed for mapping of data sets to the MIDAS
> standards, though I originally planned to extend the mapping tool to cover
> other standards (CIDOC, Dublin Core etc).
>
> If a copy of this database would be of interest, I would be happy to provide
> it to members of the CRM group.

This is definitely of interest. The idea is, that the CRM can play the role
of an intermediate model for mapping and transforming, as you seem to do with MIDAS. That makes
mapping CRM to MIDAS even more interesting. This poses also the question
if multi-stage mappings make sense (e.g. DC to CRM to MIDAS etc.)
Your mapping methodology would also be very much of interest for us.
We could put a pointer to it on the CRM website.

best,

Martin

> Edmund Lee
>
> Data Standards Supervisor
> Data Services Unit Standards Team
> National Monuments Record Centre
> Kemble Drive
> Swindon
> SN2 2GZ
> United Kingdom
>
> Tel: +44 (01793) 414791
> Fax: +44 (01793) 414770
> email: edmund.lee at rchme.co.uk

 Dr. Martin Doerr              |  Vox:+30(81)391625          |
 Senior Researcher             |  Fax:+30(81)391609          |

               Centre for Cultural Informatics               |

         Web-site: http://www.ics.forth.gr/proj/isst         |